Thursday, April 10, 2008

I live for days like this!

I spent the first week that I was in Zambia visiting 3 well established projects. I definitely experienced the Lord going before me in that I already had relationship with each person that I needed to meet with. One project has a clinic associated with it where they are able to offer ARVs to their HBC patients. I got to see the community schools on the property of the next project. It was the most beautiful HBC campus that I have seen. I took TONS of photos. Will try to get them posted ASAP!

The next week I met a team from Canada who came to train a new group of HBC volunteers. This was an amazing experience!

On Monday, I went with the team and a few volunteers to do HBC in Mutende, a well established project. In the afternoon, we went to Mulinga. There we met the new volunteers. The leadership has been feeding OVCs and has a small school. The group has been doing HBC individually, but has only been together as a group for 2 weeks.

We broke up into groups of 3 or 4 and walked through the community with the volunteers. They showed us where they get their water and where the children go to school as they told us about the community. We passed a young woman with her 13 month old baby on her way home from the clinic. Her baby was critically malnourished. The clinic gave her soya and some other medication and sent her home. The volunteer spoke requested permission to visit her in her home to learn more of their situation.

It grieved my heart to see the condition of this small child and the hopelessness on the face of her mother. At the same time, I was elated seeing this volunteer in action. She had never been formally trained, yet she was ready to do anything she could to help. To be a part of the process of putting tools into her hand to help women like this one in her community... I live for days like this!

1 comment:

Heather Jones said...

=D hope is planted one day at a time, one person at a time.