Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hands Conference

Zambia was wonderful! It was amazing to be a part of training the new HBC with the team from Westside Church, Canada.

I got home on Friday and had one day to regroup and prepare for our African Conference. We had about 20 people to represent our projects across sub-Saharan Africa. What a treat to meet each of them and learn more about their projects. We each interviewed the project directors. I asked them specific questions about their HBC, what they are doing and how I can help them. Interesting to see the diversity of our projects.

I presented a bit and learned A LOT!

Following the African Conference, our African partners and Hands staff went to a retreat center and game reserve to meet with our international partners (including Jeff Neal and his friend Tyler!!). Coming away from this time, the consensus was that this was a productive, well planned time. I enjoyed meeting the various Churches that have committed to Hands projects.

I always learn more of Hands vision each time we come together. Especially to see our US, UK, Canadian, and Australian offices represented. We all realize that we are a part of something much bigger.

Meetings, planning, presenting, getting a last minute computer cord since mine started sparking after the trip to Zambia... Whew. I always thought that the pace in Africa was slower than Dallas!

My current role in South Africa is the Home Based Care Champion. I am responsible for defining the Hands model for Home Based Care and documenting it. During the conference I assumed a new role as the Mozambique representative. Not sure what this means yet, just know that I am honored to be working closely with my dear friend Carlos Guia in Mozy!!

The best part of this time by far was the fact that my dear friend Jeff Neal was able to come. It was good to get to know his friend Tyler as well.

Thank you for your prayers. The Lord has truly helped me to prioritize relationship in the midst of everything.

No comments: