Wednesday, June 18, 2008

So many friends, so little time

I was only in Moz for 10 short days. The primary purpose of this trip was to help our new volunteers get settled. Dara and Laura are nurses from the US and from Canada. They will be there for 9 months working with Rubatano. Can I say that I am a bit jealous! :) They are both wonderful girls. It is exciting to see the work grow. For the nurses, I still feel like we are standing on the shoulders of the first 2 nurses to work with Carlos, Ginna and Sara. After only a month, Dara and Laura have done so much. I cannot wait to continue to live vicariously through them!

I continue to be amazed by the growth in Rubatano itself. The volunteers were trained by the government. This helped to increase their skill and strengthen their relationship with the hospital and clinics. I am honored to be in relationship with them.

My role in SA with Moz is country rep. That means that if Carlos needs anything from SA or SA needs anything from him, I help to communicate. Since I have been home, I have had 2 one hour conversations with Carlos. I told him how sorry I was that he had to explain everything to me. He said that was fine, as English is his 4th language. If I can understand what he is dreaming and doing, then I can translate that to the rest of the world, he is happy. It is such a joy to work with this man!

Of course I spent as much time as possibly possible with Augusto and Dorcas. I have uploaded some pictures from their birthday party. No one knows exactly when their birthday is. Dorcas asked for a birthday party and No was simply not an option. We had a combined birthday party so Augusto would not feel left out. It was GREAT! There about about 7 children, ages 2 to 6 that are in Augusto's little family at Maforga. The plan is to keep them together as they grow up. Dorcas is the big sister in the family. It is SO good to see them SO happy. Augusto's big brown eyes have captured my heart again and again. I cannot wait for you to see photos. Check the out!

Another day I went to visit the village. Oh what a party we had! We danced and sang together and tried to communicate. That part did not go so well. I know only a few words in Shona, but our love for each other always translates without fail!

Pasqua, Carlos' wife, and I made a carrot cake together over the fire. This was quite a memory. She is a wonderful friend. Maybe when I get back to Dallas we can make a fire in the back yard so I can teach you what I have learned about cooking over the fire! :)

After 10 days, 2 with HBC, many with friends and lots of good eatin', I returned to J'burg

1 comment:

Heather Jones said...

I am gain!!! I will dig a pit! =)
Love ya girl, and praying.
HEather