Monday, June 30, 2008

Community Stay

Most volunteers who come to work with Hands for longer than a month stay in the Masoyi for 2-3 nights. Even my team that came last October stayed in Masoyi for a night or two. Thought I lived in Moz, I did not live directly in the community.

Tonight is my first night to stay in a community. Very exciting! Victoria is the project director for Mbonoswini. It is about 15 minutes away from where I live. She is taking care of 350 orphans and vulnerable children.

Hands focus right now is to plan how to practically and effectively reach 100 000 OVCs by 2010. We have had many conversations with project leaders like Carlos and Victoria and have come up with 3 service areas that we need to focus on: food security, basic health (which includes home safety), and education.

We are working with Victoria on developing these 3 service areas in her community. We felt like it was important for me to stay with them as I was doing the initial training to ensure that we were not simply training them in our (Hand's) plan, but that we are working with Victoria to come up with a plan together.

Please pray that the Lord would direct this time to ensure that it is all that it needs to be. I am releasing all control.

No comments: