Saturday, September 27, 2008

Change

Only someone who has dedicated a block of time towards researching materials to write a manual will get so excited about a powerpoint presentation that they will cut and paste a slide onto their blog! Shoo! (tried to upload, but would not. user error, internet connection, bad format. oh well. )

Today I am making some good progress on the HAW HBC manual. There is a ton of pressure to get the first draft out as there are many projects who are waiting to be trained. Our team that does pastor's trainings have done a phenomenal job stirring up the church to the point of action. Now they are ready to take action! They have selected their volunteers and are anxiously awaiting training. My training.

It is good. Much has already been written by George and others that is excellent. All I need to do now is put it together into training programs. Sounds easy enough, right?

When I was going through a training program on clean water that our church partner in Canada gave to me, I found a slide addressing how people respond to change. I realize how much this slide has affected my thinking, so I wanted to share it with you.

The moral of the slide is that it is step 5 of 7 when someone comes to the point where they recognize that there is a problem and is willing to look at possible solutions.

I see this played out in my own life a ton! If I do not need a possible solution to a problem it is hard not to be in denial that there is a problem at all.

On the other side of that, this is the reason for our pastor's trainings. We all know that there is poverty and need, but it is not until we come together that we are able to see that there is something we can do. Until then, nothing is being done.

Reminds me of when Levi was speaking to the pastors in Dedza, Malawi. One of the men said that we opened their eyes to the problem and they now realize that even if it is bringing firewood to a widow, there is something that they could do. Now they have known that there was a problem. What has changed is not they have come together to make a plan on how they can address the problems.

hum. interesting. Hope it is for you too. :)

(sorry, no slide)

1 comment:

Heather Jones said...

Thank you for writing this blog! =)
It came at a time when I needed to hear it. =)
You're in my prayers as you finish this up. Just remember, 1 step at a time.
peace..