Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Be still and know.

Two phrases resonate in my spirit, “be still and know,” and “it is well with my soul.”

Laura and I have been in Zambia providing training to nurses that work in primary healthcare mobile clinics. Two months ago I felt intimidated by this charge. What value can I add?

The details for this training were not set until I arrived. I had a vague idea what they wanted to be taught, but it was not fixed. With more questions than answers, I was at complete peace.

The training has gone well. We have had some discussions that the nurses report “have really gotten our minds going.” Wonderful.

Laura is living and working in Moz with Rubatano, where I lived last year. She got an SMS last week. “Fires have burned down patients and orphans houses. Few dead. (two volunteers) independently wished that Jesus would come soon."

Laura and I prayed for the project, the families affected by the fires and our friends working there. I played a song called “Held” by Natalie Grant. “Surely we can wait for just one hour, watching for our Savior.”

This song speaks such truth to me. While we were both deeply grieved with the news of the fires, “what else do these families and children have left to loose, to endure?” Then we step back and watch as the body of Christ move. We have one team coming from the states in one week and another in about 3 weeks.

Exodus 2-4 is loud in my ears. The Lord has seen the suffering. He has heard the cry of His people, and he is responding by sending these 2 teams to be a part of helping these families.

What if these teams were not coming? What if they each thought,” I would like to go to Africa one day. Maybe one day. “ The Lord would find another way to touch the families and children in Africa, but the members of these teams and their support teams who are at home praying would miss it. They would miss the opportunity to be a part of what the Lord is doing… to Love, to Touch and to Hold.

2 comments:

Heather Jones said...

I am sad to hear about the fires and their loss. My prayers are with you and with them.

Lesley said...

Yes, terrible loss.

I agree also about the response of the body of Christ, wonderful that they are willing to go and serve.

Thanks for keeping us up to date with what's going on.
Lesley