Thursday, August 7, 2008

What lies ahead

Refreshed! That is how I feel after our last week in the Cape. It is good to have a renewed perspective.

So, to recap. The last 3 weeks of July was spent de-worming. Then, off to the cape! We got back on Wednesday. Now that the computer is squared away, I am ready for the next trip.

Sunday I will leave for Malawi and Zambia for 5 weeks.

First stop- HIV treatment and palliative care training for 2 weeks in Malawi.
This is a very exciting opportunity that came up last year. My prayer for this time is that I will be able to bring back something that will be applicable and helpful in our HBC setting.

Then, the 3rd week, Levi is going to meet me in the capitol city to travel to a potential new project. One of our partners has gone before us and helped the community to identify a champion. We will meet with him, the local pastors and other community leaders to hear their heart. What are their dreams for their community? Our aim? To encourage and build into them. We will speak to them about who Hands is and come back to discuss the way forward with the Hands team in SA.

The project is located on the border between Malawi and Moz, straight north of Rubatano and Carlos. The idea is that he will be able to help this community start a HBC project.

I cannot tell you how exciting this is!

The second objective is to report the steps of how we went into the community, so that it can be duplicated in other communities that we are seeking to enter.

Levi will go home after our week and I will proceed to Zambia. Laura, a Canadian nurse currently working with Carlos, is meeting me to do a training for the nurses of a mobile care clinic. Exactly what we are going to train on is TBA. After all, this is Africa. If everything was planned to a "T", well... I think that I would go nuts when it does not follow the plan. Not really. We are still waiting to hear what topics they would like for us to provide training on.

The mobile clinics are staffed by nurses who also staff our Hands HBC projects in the area, so by providing this training it will in turn help the quality of the care with our HBC projects. Very nice.

Ok, I am getting too exciting and chatty now. Please pray as I prepare for this long journey. AND when you think of it, you might even give me a call on Skype!

Much love.
jag

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Hi there
You don't know me but I have been following your blog with much interest. It is very good!
We are in Canada and we are coming out to work with Hands @ Work in Fall 2009 for a min of 2 years....so I read everything you write to get an idea of what we will be doing and how we will be living! We are a family of 7 (5 kids) and so maybe our situation is a bit different than the norm but I can't tell you how excited we are...and terrified too.:) Anyway, would you consider emailing me at Dandlwiebe@shaw.ca if I wrote to you with questions/thoughts etc? I would love to be in touch with you...I love seeing your heart in your blog and seeing how God is taking care of all your needs. So incredible.
Would you still be there in Fall 2009? It would be lovely to meet you in person.
Lesley