Saturday, July 19, 2008

De-worming

Recently, a friend asked me what I do on a daily basis. right now, I can summarize what I am doing daily in one word, de-worming. For three weeks in July, I am doing de-worming almost every day from about 1pm to 4pm.

It has been another one of those activities that I was hugely resistant to, but now that I am doing it I love it! The part that I was resistant to was the actually planning. It is no secrete that I am not a good planner. I was happy to be the nurse and give input, but was not excited about being the project manager for all 17 events to service approximately 2,500 children. We had several meeting leading up to July, where we divided up all the responsibilities. When it came down to the day before we were to begin, there were many factors beyond our control, which brought me to be the project manager.

"In my weakness He was made strong." I was stretched beyond what I thought was possible. The result? I trust God more than ever right now. I have see our Hands team pull together to see 1200 children receive medication so far, with a projected within the next week and a half.

Part of our proposal for the funding for this medication states that we will give HIV education at each event. At the first 2 we had a youth group do a wonderful drama. Again, due to factors beyond our control, they cannot go out with us anymore. So, after we hand out the medication, I gather the children to talk about the medicine, prevention of worms and about 15 minutes on HIV. It has been really great!

Another highlight is to see each of the coordinators in their element. I see them in a monthly meeting on our campus, but this is entirely different. As we give each child the medication, if there is one that I am concerned about health wise, then I indicate to the coordinator, and we discuss after the program is complete.

Through this event, we have not only been able to provide de-worming medication to children who would not otherwise have access, but we are also providing health education regarding worms and HIV AND helping the coordinators recognize children in need and make a plan.

Last week a coordinator introduced me to a child headed household. The oldest in the household is 12. She is caring for 2 other siblings. They do not have any food and are in great need. When I return to their area on Monday, I will be able to take a food parcel to the family. I also met a year and a half orphan living with her grandmother. They do not have any food either. The child is showing beginning signs of malnutrition. I can help them this week with food, but after this week? Please pray and trust with me that we will see God's provision for food for these families.

No comments: