Saturday, September 1, 2007

Sleepless Night

"Sister Genome, come quickly!" Vovo JoAnna called into my bedroom window at 2am this morning. Danieli had become very sick. JoAnna and I went quickly to the baby unit to find little Danieli in his mothers arms. His breathing was irregular and very fast, 80/minute. Danieli's eyes were barley open, rolling back while his mother's eyes were red with tears.

The triplets have been under the care of Jackie in the baby clinic since they were born. They are probably about 2 months old now and weigh about 3.5-4 pounds each. As patients in the baby clinic, their mother would bring them weekly to be weighed and to get milk for them. They became more than patients when one of the 2 older children anciently tipped a paraffin lamp and burned the house down.

Jackie arranged to have a new house built for them. It just took about 2 weeks to get it up, start to finish. Meanwhile the whole family has been living in the baby unit. Though the babies are growing and putting on weight nicely, at least one has been sick with pneumonia since they arrived.

Yesterday Danieli was ok. Jackie checked on him before she left and all was well... until 2am.

I held baby Danieli and prayed. "Lord, I believe in miracles! Please tell me, what would you have me to do?" I held him for sometime. Suddenly I became very concerned, so I called sister Jackie. We discussed what was happening and decided to give him some antibiotics and watch him for one hour. If no improvement, then we would go to the hospital.

I slept in the baby unit to keep an eye on him and to that they would know that they were not alone. He was ok at 5:30, so I went home.

At 8 I receive a phone call. "Please, come quickly!" Danieli had been found this morning with his skin cool to the touch with very shallow breathing. Immediately they prayed and he improved.

When I arrived I saw that there was a dramatic change from the time that I saw him. We phoned Jackie to let her know that we are taking him to the hospital immediately. She was to meet him there.

Dawid drove the family to the hospital 15 minutes away with a vovo. When Jackie saw him, she said that he was much improved, breathing well.

The crisis is over. Now we must continue to pray! I will keep you informed. Right now the news is good.

No comments: